Michael Young 4th great grandpa on RootsMagic tree
Micheal Young was born in 1787 in Pennsylvania, his ancestors were probably German and their name may have been Jung. Michael married Mary -her last name not known. Michael and Mary had at least 5 children. Michael was a farmer and active in local politics.
The Stark County Democrat newspaper of April 24, 1841 show Michael and son in law Isaac Dickerhoof as administrators on Baranabus Weller’s will. Michael and Isaac offer up lands and a log chain. Barnabus may be a son in law of Michael’s. And no relation but of this time, Valentine Rinehart offers a six cents reward for a runaway apprentice, about 16 years old, five feet, stout, fair complexion, clothing not recollected.
The 1850 US agricultural census records Michael’s farm. The farm had 106 acres of improved land, 70 acres of unimproved, the farm’s value was $7000, machinery valued at $75. The farm had 7 horses, 8 milk cows, 5 sheep and 16 swine; and produced 290 bushels of wheat, 30 bushels of rye, 250 bushels of Indian Corn and 300 bushels of oats. In 1855 on the New Map of Stark, Ohio his lands were nearby family and in laws: Bairs Bowmans, Bryans, Dickerhoofs, Essigs, Grubbs, Harters, Kryders, Millers and Shrivers. Michael’s land is above the M in Marlboro.

M. Young 1855 Marlboro Township
Michael was a widow in 1857 and shortly after moved to Randolph about 30 miles north of Stark. Michael’s daughter Susannah married Isaac Dickerhoof, she died in 1851. Michael’s son Isaac married Susannah Shriver, Isaac died in 1852 and he and Susannah’s sons died in 1851 and 53. There was a major cholera epidemic in Ohio at this time, It’s probable that Michael’s wife, daughter, son, and grandsons died in this epidemic. Michael’s son Peter married Catherine Truby they moved to Elkhart, Indiana. Michael’s daughters Hannah and Esther both married in Ohio. Esther married Peter Miller they moved to Waverly, Iowa. Hannah married John Bryan they stayed in Stark. A son of Hannah and John Bryan visited his aunt Esther and uncle Peter Miller in September of 1887, recorded in the Waverly (Iowa) Democrat newspaper.
Sources
- 1850 US agricultural census at Ancestry
- 1850 US census at Ancestry
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998 at Ancestry
- Cholera Epidemics via Ohio History Central
- New map of Stark County, Ohio via Library of Congress
- Stark County Democrat, Stark Ohio Digital Archives of the Stark County District Library
- Waverly Democrat, Waverly, Iowa Digital Archives of the Waverly Public Library


Mary Ella was born June 3, 1855 in Bremer County, Iowa to William Gaines of New York and Sarah Swain of Illinois. Mary Ella grew up near Janesville, Iowa. She was the oldest of 8 brothers and sisters, three siblings died young. At age 23 Mary Ella married James Miller on November 13, 1878, in Waverly, Iowa. They had 2 boys William and James and the family farmed in Bremer and Butler counties in Iowa. The 1895 Iowa census shows Mary Ella, her husband, her 2 sons, her dad William Gaines, her niece Clara and James’s brother Jacob Miller living in the house. The 1900 US census has Mary Ella, her husband and 2 sons, James’s brother Jacob and another niece Jeanette Gaines. Both nieces were daughters of Mary Ella’s brother William and wife Virginia Gaines from Minnesota.
Mary Ella’s dad, a brother and 2 sisters moved west to Junction City, Oregon about 50 miles south of Portland. In 1905 Mary Ella and James visited Junction City and attended the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition in Portland. The Expo lasted 4 months, had more than 1 million visitors and took close to 3 years to build.
By 1642 George had left Ipswich, England and was in Massachusetts. He was a freeman on May 10 1643 in Boston. George’s first wife Phebe could have arrived with him or could have died in England, it’s unknown. George remarried in Massachusetts and he and 2nd wife had a few more children. His 2nd wife was Elizabeth the widow of John Simson. Both George and John were original English land owners in Watertown. On the map of Watertown, they’re neighbors, No. 12 right in between Strawberry Hill and the Meeting House. George has land at the top right too, No 16 above Sherman’s Pond
On 6 April 1637 the church of Concord ‘kept a day of humiliation, chose Mr Bulkeley teacher and Mr. Jones pastor’. In August 1637 John and other minsters held an Ecclesiastical Council- they worked on their new religion: beliefs, requirements, practices in the new world. In 1644 another council was held and this time Peter Bulkeley and John Jones split- they couldn’t agree so John Jones and family left Concord and went to Fairfield Connecticut where John was the 1st pastor of the Congregational Church of Fairfield. John and Peter’s kids were married by this time, Peter’s son Thomas, married to Sarah Jones, Thomas and Sarah Jones Bulkeley went with John, to Fairfield.
You must be logged in to post a comment.