Asa Lowe, no relation, friend of William Flood, great grandpa of Elizabeth Speedy, my grandpa.
Asa Lowe and William Flood were born in Vermont. They appear to have left Vermont together for Delaware County, Iowa. In Delaware County Asa married Amelia Henderson in 1846 and William married Maria Dresser around 1853. By 1854 Asa’s family and William were in Butler County, Iowa. William’s wife had died, he lived with Asa and family until he married Delia Angell in 1857. Asa Lowe is the witness of William and Delia’s marriage record.
On June 6, 1854, Asa made a claim on 80 acres of land in Butler Township. September 15, 1857, he filed a plat for the village of Lowell. “There is no explanation for the origin of the name but one can surmise that Mr. Lowe added the two letters to his name in order to avoid (unsuccessfully) the name of Lowtown. The cemetery, a half mile west, and the nearest country school to the south, were given the official name Lowell.” In 1875 the flour and saw mills fell in to the Shell Rock and “Lowell joined Butler Center as ghost towns with only a cemetery to mark its existence”.
Asa and his family left Iowa for Sacramento, California. In Sacramento, Asa was a fruit grower and a member of the National Grange, “a social organization in the United States that encourages families to band together to promote the economic and political well-being of the community and agriculture”.
At a July 13, 1885 meeting, “Held at Grangers’ Hall Last Saturday, An Association to be Formed. Another meeting of fruit-growers was held at Grangers’ Hall, in this city, on Saturday. Asa Lowe was elected Chairman of the meeting, and E. Greer, Secretary … forming an association for mutual protection and benefit, and especially with a view to improve the present prices for fruits.”
Asa died on January 1, 1888 and is buried in Elder Creek Cemetery, Florin, California.
- Iowa census 1856 at Ancestry
- National Grange of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry at Wikipedia
- Sacramento Daily Union, Volume 53, Number 121, 13 July 1885 via California Digital Newspaper Collection
- Clarksville Star: 1875 April 1. At Lowell, the Flouring Mill and Saw Mill, gone. https://tinyurl.com/p7yset3t . 1981 June 18 Years Ago https://tinyurl.com/32xrhnjz . 1978 January 20 Years Ago https://tinyurl.com/pkxpesc9 .