Jane Howlett 5th great grandma on RootsMagic tree
Jane, from Maryland, was born in 1753, the oldest child of Andrew and Margaret Howlett. Jane and her siblings grew up near Baltimore. Andrew Howlett owned lands: Howlett’s Ambition and Howlett’s Triangle, the two lots totaled 75 acres.
About 1770 Jane married Henry Crooks. In 1776 she was 23 years old. On the Maryland census, Jane and family lived on a farm which Jane would have taken care of, when Henry went off to the Revolutionary War. After the war, Henry earned land from his military service. In 1786 on the Pennsylvania, Septennial Census, Jane and Henry, their family lived in Washington County, in western Pennsylvania, about 5 miles east of the Ohio River. Jane and Henry had 7 kids, 4 sons and 3 daughters.
Jane died in 1816, Henry lived another 15 more years. They are both buried at Raccoon Church Cemetery in Candor, Pennsylvania, USA. They share a headstone, carved with on the front and on each their initial J. C. and H. C. on the back. Henry Crooks was in the Revolutionary War so has a
- Settlers of Maryland, 1679-1783. Consolidated Edition at Ancestry
- Maryland records, colonial, revolutionary, county and church at HathiTrust
- Pennsylvania, Septennial Census, 1779-1863 at Ancestry
- Public Ancestry photos KimBrown700 originally shared this on 06 jul 2017
- View of Baltimore from Chapel Hill by Francis Guy painting at Wikipedia