Rhode Island Roots volume 5 page 1 a snapshot of the referenced deed
In 1636 Boston courts decided Roger Williams had to return to England. He was creating problems in the colony, accused of having diverse thoughts. Roger encouraged freedom of religion, ‘soul liberty’, a separation of church and state. He would ask the courts and churches to explain how stealing lands from the native Americans fit in with the beliefs of the new colony. As the colony prepared to export him, Roger Williams fled in the night. He headed down river to present day Providence, Rhode Island. With help from the Narragansett tribe he founded a colony based on his beliefs. March 24, 1638 the first land deeds were signed by the native people selling the lands and witnessed by Roger Williams and Benedict Arnold (Gov’r not American Revolution soldier).
Years later Roger’s son Daniel said, “Can you find such another now alive or in this age? He gave away his lands.” It is pretty amazing for those times and anytime: Roger owned all that land, legally and he thought, ethically purchased, but he didn’t keep the lands he shared them. He wanted the new Providence Plantation to succeed so he started deeding land to his friends and followers and they all started working on building a place built on Roger’s ideas.
Rhode Island Roots. Warwick, RI: Rhode Island Genealogical Society, 1975–. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2018.)
Thomas Judd 10th great grandfather on RootsMagic tree.
Thomas Judd was born in England, about 1608. He landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts Bay in 1634. In Cambridge he was admitted to the church and made a freeman in May of 1636. Thomas left Cambridge for Connecticut, first Hartford, probably with Puritan minister Thomas Hooker. Both Hooker and Thomas Judd are landowners on a map of Hartford in the 1640s, these would be original settlers. The map was “prepared from the original records by vote of the town” and created in the 1800s. Thomas Judd is in the bottom left corner No. 154. Other Miller family landowners on this map in this same area in 1640 are Jeremy Adams, Thomas Bliss and Richard Risley.
UCONN libraries provides a digital copy of this map and details.
A list of the landowners ‘freeholders’ here
More details on the map here.
Thomas left Hartford for Farmington where he held lots of town service positions including, in August of 1658 “to communicate the mind of the court to the Indians”. Church records of Farmington, Connecticut name Thomas as the second Deacon of the church. “The number of such as are in full communion in the church in Farmington March 1 1679/80. Deacon Judd. Benjamin Judd and his wife. John Judd and his wife. William Judd and his wife”. Finally Thomas moved to Northampton, Massachusetts where he is buried and has a headstone credited to a descendant: Sylvester Judd of 1858.
He didn’t leave a will at his death but there is a probate record, 15 pages, handwritten mostly land deeds and an inventory.
This page from the will lists the children and what they receive, Benjamin Judd 4th on the list is the Miller ancestor through Mary Ella Gaines, grandma of Faber Miller who married Gladys Cable.
Connecticut, Wills and Probate Records, 1609-1999 at Ancestry . com
Find a grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/28130545
Church Records of Farmington in Connecticut The New England historical and genealogical register, 1874 Volume 28 at Archive.org
Thomas Bulkeley 18 and his family left England in 1634 or 35: “No doubt the long drawn out enrollments and the lack of effort to standardize spelling of the name were reflections of the family’s attempt to board the ship without being apprehended” from The Great Migration Vol 1 page 464. Thomas’s father Peter, a Puritan minister had issues with the Church of England and Archbishop Laud, one of many, who left for New England. The Bulkeleys settled in Concord, Massachusetts and were part of a solid Puritan community.
In 1637 there were breaks in the Puritan community, Anne Hutchinson was part of it. Rev. Peter Bulkeley called her the devil. The breakdown was the Antinomian Controversy. At an Ecclesiastical Council Reverend Bulkeley, Reverend John Jones, John Cotton and others agreed to carry on and compromise.
In 1640 Thomas married Sarah Jones, the daughter of the Reverend John Jones. Rev. Buckeley and Rev. Jones were friends, the families were happy with the marriage.
In 1644 Reverend John Jones had to leave Concord he couldn’t abide by the religious beliefs. He left for Fairfield, Connecticut, many families left with Reverend Jones. Reverend Bulkeley in Concord was left with about 30 followers. Thomas and Sarah had to choose a side, his dad’s or her dad’s they chose her dad Reverend Jones’s side and moved to Fairfield.
Antinomian Controversy was huge in early America. My very basic understanding with no offense or expertise intended, it was the Covenant of Works -do this and you are saved- VS the Covenant of Grace -Christ did this so all are saved-. The whole story is at Wikipedia with 139 source citations.
Thomas Bulkeley (1617 – 1658)
Sarah Bulkeley (1640 – 1723)
Rebecca Brown (1684 – 1768)
Mary English (1715 – 1791)
John Connable (1749 – 1813)
Obed Gaines (1793 – 1877)
William Newcomb Gaines (1825 – 1907)
Mary Ella Gaines (1855 – 1917)
William Earl Miller (1879 – 1949)
Faber W Miller (1905 – 1957)
Postcard. The Howland House, 1666, Plymouth, Mass.
I’ve added Mayflower passengers to my family tree. Elizabeth Tilley 10th great grandmother, at age 13 sailed on the Mayflower with parents John and
Elizabeth Joan Hurst Tilley. The older Tilley children stayed in England. Both John and Joan died in the general sickness of the first winter, 1621. Orphaned Elizabeth was taken in by John Carver (Plymouth Colony governor). Carver had a man-servant or secretary John Howland. When both John Carver and his wife died in early spring of 1621, John Howland inherited their estate and Elizabeth Tilley became his ward, they soon married and had 10 children who all survived into adulthood, so today Tilley and Howland have millions of descendants -you could be one too.
Rocky Nook was John and Elizabeth’s home, it’s no longer around but the land is preserved with a monument and trees, a stone wall and cellars original to the Howland home. The Pilgrim John Howland Society and the Plymouth Archaeological Rediscovery Project share their findings which reveal much history: the Howland House Bake Oven and a 50 page report on 2015 excavations including an artifact catalog are 2 examples. More than 4750 artifacts have been uncovered on the lands.
John and Elizabeth’s son Jabez lived in a home at 33 Sandwich Street in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The home still stands today . John and Elizabeth lived with Jabez after their home burned. So a person could today walk through this Jabez Howland home in the footsteps of Mayflower passengers John and Elizabeth Tilley Howland. Fascinating.
The Jabez Howland House is the only existing house in Plymouth where Pilgrims actually lived. The original 17th century two-story timber framed house consisted of the porch, hall and hall chamber. John Howland and his wife, Elizabeth Tilley Howland spent their winters here with their son Jabez and his family.