John Parrish 11th great grandpa on RootsMagic tree
John was born in 1640 probably near Braintree, Massachusetts. He first married Hannah Jewell, she died before 1685 when John married Mary Waddell. John and Mary were active in Groton, John holding many elected positions: selectman, town council, surveyor, constable.
- 1669: Original proprietor in Groton, granted 5 acres of land
- 1676 Mar 13: The couple lived in Groton when it was destroyed by Indian wars
- 1677: John was on the committee to rebuild after the town evacuated then returned months later. The record from October 12, 1677, Pages 52, 53, The Early Records of Groton, Massachusetts: 1662-1707 at HathiTrust, “This is the last record of any meeting held before the destruction of the town by the Indians, March 13, 1676. The inhabitants then were compelled to forsake their homes, and did not return until the spring of 1678. …that those present would go up in the spring following, and begin to repair our habitations again… which agreement he signed”.
- 1685 John received 10 acres of land in Groton. After rebuilding the town, John and probably Mary, both played a big part in getting a pastor and church to Groton.
- 1691 Dec 21, “At the same day thay did apoint and by uoat daclare that sd Josiah parkar and sar John parish & Wiliam longly & sam James parkar should go down & fach up som meet parson to preach to us & the town is to bare the charg”.
- 1692 March 21, “Groton at a genaral town meting legally warned the town did then by uoat datannan that thay would giue to master hancock the full som of sixtey pound one fourth part siluer for a yers salarey for Preaching in order to ordnation in dew time and the other three parts in pay corn or prouishon at comon pays and mr hancocock bored himself: John Parish was chosen to dascors with mr hancock to see if he wil acs apt of the towns profr”.
Groton (Mass. : Town). The Early Records of Groton, Massachusetts: 1662-1707. Groton: [Town of Groton], 1880.
Parish, Roswell. New England Parish Families: Descendants of John Parish of Groton, Mass, And Preston… Rutland, Vt.: The Tuttle Publishing Company, inc, 1938.
And some $ Ancestry sources, Marriages, North American Families.
You must be logged in to post a comment.