Oliver Angell 7th great grandpa on RootsMagic tree.
Oliver was born February 20, 1717, the 2nd of Hope and Lydia Olney Angell’s 7 children. On June 13, 1740 Oliver and Naomi Smith were married by Reverend Josiah Cotton in Providence, Rhode Island. Oliver and Naomi farmed and raised 7 children in Providence. Oliver was also a ‘cooper’ he made barrels, baskets and casks; a carpenter and a shoemaker.
Oliver died on April 1, 1799, his wife Naomi died December 3, 1799 and their grand daughter Adah died October 9, 1799. These 3 Angells and 16 others are buried in the Rhode Island Hist. Cemetery North Providence #8, also known as the Hope Angell Lot, or the Oliver Angell Lot. This tiny cemetery has 19 burials, was originally on Angell farmland and is now in a residential area between two houses. If you’re related to Elizabeth Speedy Roose, you’re related to 17 of the 19 buried there, all but Elisha Angell’s 2 wives.
Oliver Angell has an obituary posted on his Find a Grave Memorial
“Providence Gazette, April 6, 1799, p. 2:
At North-Providence, on the 1st inst. Mr. Oliver Angell, in the 83d year of his age, who sustained an unblemished character. As a citizen he was firm in the support of government; as a husband he was kind and affectionate; as a parent he taught his children the love of virtue in their early years, and by his example daily set before them, shewed that he had himself experienced the happy effects. Few who lived to his advanced age could say, as he did, that he was never sued at law, nor sued any person, but lived in peace with them all.”
The 19 burials in the Hope and/or Oliver Angell Lot
1, 2 Oliver and Naomi Smith Angell
3 Ruth Angell daughter
4, 5 Elisha Angell, son and his wife Anna Fenner
6, 7, 8, 9 – Elisha’s son Fenner Angell, Fenner’s wife Mary Smith Angell, their son Zachariah Angell, Elisha’s 2nd wife Mary Dean Angell.
10, 11, 12, Hope Angell son and his wife Avis Olney, their daughter Adah.
13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 – Hope’s son Smith Angell, Smith’s wife Freelove Harris, their daughters Asenath and Minerva, their sons Horace Lafayette, Thomas and Zalmon.
- Genealogy of the descendants of Thomas Angell, page 39. At HathiTrust
- Israel Angell Colonel of the 2nd Rhode Island Regiment, Page 8, 9. At HathiTrust
- Vital record of Rhode Island, 1636-1850 : a family register for the people, Volume 13 page 122. At Archive.org
- “Oliver, in 83d year, at North Providence, April. 1, 1799. Adah, daughter of Hope, Esq., at North Providence, in 18th year. Gazette of Oct. 26, 1799 Naomi, widow of Oliver, at North Providence, in 80th year. Gazette of Dec. 7, 1799”
- Oliver Angell memorial, Find a grave
- Rhode Island Historic Cemetery Commission Oliver Angell Lot. Located on Douglas Ave. east of Gov. Notte Park. James Arnold recorded 27 Dec 1891. “On the Hope Angell farm in rear of the farm house, yard walled and yard in good order.”
- Find a Grave Hope Angell Lot