James Hill 6th great grandpa on RootsMagic tree
James was born in Rehoboth, Massachusetts on April 26, 1726. He was the youngest of 8 kids of Samuel and Ann Brown Hill. James married Eunice Walker, “James and Eunice Walker, both of Rehoboth, married by Rev. John Greenwood May 11, 1749. Int. April 13, 1749” is recorded in Vital Record of Rehoboth. James was a farmer and a blacksmith. He was a widow in 1772 and fought in the American Revolution from 1775 to 1779.
James’s first battle was on April 19, 1775 that was the day Paul Revere and others rode through the countryside warning towns and soldiers that the British Army was on the move. A Sons of the American Revolution SAR application was completed and verified in 1930 and lists the details of James’s service. Horace Hills completed this SAR application in 1930, verified as correct because of James’s Hill(s) age and location. Horace Hills lived at the same time as Philippa Mockford Speedy, they were 5th cousins.
James Hills left a will with all his children listed including Cynthia Hill Angell 3rd great grandma of Elizabeth Speedy. In 1802, the year he died, “My daughter Cynthia wife of Asa Angell …all my estate both real and personal not herein before disposed … after paying my just debts … equally divided.” Some of James’s inventory: 1 black straight woolen coat, waistcoats and breeches, hat, mittens, caps and glove, bedstead, flannel sheets, tablecloths, linen sheet, 1 sword and belt, butter mold, ladle, candle stand, bible, silver drinking cup, iron teaspoons, teapot, crockery, chairs, tables, farming tools, blacksmith tools, livestock, dwelling house, corn barn, 10 acres of land.
- Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970 at Ancestry.
- Massachusetts Soldiers And Sailors of the Revolutionary War, Volume 7 page 916
- Museum of the American Revolution, April 19, 1775
- Vital record of Rehoboth, 1642-1896, Page 175 Marriages and Intentions
- Massachusetts, Wills and Probate Records, 1635-1991, Bristol County Probate Records 1690-1881, Register of Probate; Bristol, Massachusetts at Ancestry
You must be logged in to post a comment.