Benjamin English 7th great uncle on RootsMagic tree
Benjamin was born February 3, 1705 in New Haven Connecticut, British America. He lived through the early days of the Revolutionary War and died towards the end of it, murdered in the Invasion of New Haven. This July 5, 1779 invasion is in lots of sources. Benjamin’s daughter in law Abigail provided a first hand account of his death in court. It’s sad and tragic but makes a reader appreciate all that went in to making America a free country 240 years ago.
Benjamin was named after his dad, the 2nd of seven children. He married Sarah Dayton, “Benjamin English and Sarah Daton both of New Haven were Joined in marriage to Each other the 25th day of Sept:1735 Isaac Dickerman Justice of Peace.” Benjamin and Sarah stayed in New Haven and had at least 5 children. They named their first son Benjamin, he was s a Captain in King Philips War.
- Map, between pages 20-21, and battled details. The British invasion of New Haven, Connecticut, July, 1779.
- Abigail English’s account in Depositions in regard to the invasion of New Haven Fairfield and Norwalk in July 1779. Page 550, The public records of the State of Connecticut. At HathiTrust
- Page 553, Record of Service of Connecticut Men at HathiTrust
- Page 517, Inscriptions on tombstones in New Haven, erected prior to 1800. at HathiTrust
- Find a Grave memorial 8940364, public photo ‘added by: Sandra Markham on 4 Apr 2019’