Gershom Smith 8th great grandpa on RootsMagic tree
Gershom Smith was born on November 30, 1679 in Hartford, Connecticut. Gershom’s dad Johnathan came to America from England around 1640, his mom Margaret Bushnell was born in Salem, Massachusetts.
Gershom married Hannah Judd: “Gershom Smith of Glastonbury and Hannah Judd the daughter of Benjamin Judd of Farmington was married on the 4 day of May announced Dom 1710.” They had 2 children, a son Gershom Jr who died young and a daughter Hannah who married and had a family. Gershom’s older brother Richard wrote a will in 1725, on Valentine’s Day, that named younger brother Gershom as executor (manager) of the estate. Richard never married, had no kids. Gershom died before Richard so Richard ’s estate went to court on 6 June, 1749. Gershom’s daughter Hannah had married Richard Risley who was named executor of his wife’s uncle’s estate.
Gershom died August 28, 1747 in Glastonbury. His widow Hannah went to live with daughter Hannah Smith Risley and her family. Gershom, with his son are buried at Green Cemetery in Glastonbury.
- Connecticut Town Birth Records, pre-1870 (Barbour Collection) at Ancestry
- Connecticut marriages 1640-1939 at FamilySearch
- Headstone photo at Find a grave memorial 194149478 “Added by Margery Bogus 16 Oct 2019”
- The American genealogist database at American Ancestors.
- A digest of the early Connecticut probate records volume 3 at HathiTrust
- Find a grave memorials 203140948 and 16547820