Hope Angell and Lydia Olney 8th great grandparents on RootsMagic tree.
Hope Angell was born December 22, 1685 in Providence, Rhode Island. Thomas Angell, his grandpa, was one of 5 men who, with Roger Williams, founded Providence.
Lydia Olney was born April 30, 1688 in Providence. Her grandpa, Thomas Olney, came to America from England in 1635, he was 2 years old.
Hope and Lydia both had at least 8 siblings, they all grew up in Providence and most stayed there in Providence or very nearby. Hope and Lydia married on May 22, 1712. They had 5 sons and 2 daughters. Hope was a farmer, a carpenter, a weaver and a cooper (cask and barrel maker). On February 12, 1749 Lydia died of consumption (tuberculosis) she was 60. Hope died 10 years, minus a day later, on February 11, 1759, he was 73 years old.
Hope was in charge (an executor) of his dad’s estate in 1724 and his brother’s estates in 1742 and 1744. Hope wrote his will on April 12, 1755. Abiah, the oldest son received all Hope’s ‘waering apparell’, 2nd and 3rd sons Oliver and Elisha were to oversee the estate. Hope’s carpenter, cooper and weaving tools are listed and given to his sons. The estate settled on May 15 1759 with only son Oliver in charge of the estate, Elisha had died.
Hope’s son Oliver Angell leads all the way to Delia Angell of Shell Rock, Iowa the great grandma of Elizabeth Speedy. Oliver is buried in the Oliver Angell Lot, also know as the Hope Angell Lot and the Rhode Island Hist. Cemetery North Providence #8. This tiny cemetery has 19 burials, was originally on Angell farmland and is now in a residential area between two houses. Hope Angell and Lydia Olney Angell’s burial place is unknown but may be here in an unmarked grave with 19 other Angells.
- Rhode Island, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1582-1932 at Ancestry
- The early records of the town of Providence at HathiTrust
- A genealogy of the descendants of Thomas Olney at HathiTrust
- Genealogy of the descendants of Thomas Angell at HathiTrust
- Rhode Island Historic Cemetery Commission. http://rihistoriccemeteries.org/newsearchcemeterydetail.aspx?ceme_no=NP008
- Google maps Hope Angell Cemetery https://goo.gl/maps/qpy6aH9TbRZDUDd77
- Rhode Island Indian Rock, Narragansett Pier, photochrom, Library of Congress
You must be logged in to post a comment.